Monday, January 9, 2012

Roasted Squash Soup


I stayed home yesterday and decided to prepare some soup.  I wanted to use whatever ingredients we had in the kitchen.  I found out that we had squash, onions, cream, canned beef broth and whole nutmeg among a few.  Since I’ve made soup before, I knew that these were enough to make squash soup.

Here is how I did it:


Roasted Squash Soup

Ingredients:

650 g yellow squash, sliced and seeded (since the skin contains a lot of vitamins, I didn’t bother peeling it)
Olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 can beef broth (soup usually calls for vegetable or chicken broth but beef broth worked for this)
1 cup cream
2 tsps nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 165 degrees and roast squash for around 35-40 minutes.  You can also grill it instead if you want.
2. In a sauce pan, saute onions in olive oil til it turns transparent.  Place the roasted squash.  Pour the broth and let it boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add the cream and mix thoroughly.  Add the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
4. Pour the mixture in the blender and blend until it has a creamy consistency without any chunks of squash remaining.
5.  Serve while hot!

This recipe yielded to around 6-7 servings.  It was tasty, hearty and filling.  I was so glad I made use of what was available on hand to make this.  It definitely encouraged me to be more creative and resourceful in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment