Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Letter to the Broken Hearted



Through the years, I’ve seen girls get heartbroken.  It’s always a painful experience and it can change a person’s life dramatically.  I really empathize with heart break because I know that it has a great effect on a person’s heart.  I wrote a letter one night addressed to a girl (no one in particular) going through a broken heart.  I hope this would somehow touch someone’s life….

Dear _____________,

I wish I could assure you that I understand what you’re going through – that I know the feeling of pain and heartache. I have felt it before, and I felt alone. I wish I had answers to your endless why’s and point out what went wrong.  I wish I could tell you when you will get over this or give you a formula to stop the dark crushing your heart feels. I really really wish I could, because I can’t bear seeing you like this.

All I can do is open my heart to you and be vulnerable with you so you can maybe believe that there will come a time when dawn breaks, when spring arrives and a rainbow appears.

I’ve had my share of heartbreaks, despair and pain.  A thousand tears have been shed. As I journey back to those moments, emotions rush back to me.  I remember how I longed for an escape, how I desperately cried for a stronger, firmer, untouchable heart.  I remember my thoughts: Love has failed.  Dreams are shattered. Hope has been deferred. What now of the future I planned? How can I possibly believe in love again?

At my lowest point, two paths presented itself.  A path to numb the pain and a path to journey past it.  Numbing it seemed convenient, I just needed to fill the painful void with things, activities and pleasures, and  distract myself enough until my heart became too hard to feel the pain.  The second seemed outright foolish. It invited me to go into the depths of my heart and it’s brokenness, and it meant facing the rejection, the hurt, and the uncertainty. It meant coming humbly before God. Despite the damaged state of my heart, I chose the latter. And though at times I felt as if I was dying, looking back, it was in my dark periods that my heart came alive. We are capable of feeling much, hurting much, and bearing much. We are capable of enduring.

If you choose the path I chose there will be pain. It will, at times, feel like a slow dying – but it’s one of  the best decisions I’ve made. It means going to God where you are at.  No pretensions, no protocols, just broken vulnerability. Cry if you must.  Question God if it arises. Get angry.  Curl up into a ball in weakness.  Silence half hearted comforts if it confuses you, don’t take the easy road of material and emotional distraction.  Just go to Him where you are at. Weak.  Hopeless.  Faithless. Frustrated.  Disappointed.  He will meet you where you are at with all that He is. He will not condemn you nor your emotions. It is His joy to redeem you and to fix your broken heart.

You are not in a sad ending of a love story, you are in the midst of a great one.  It is one that involves a perfect love that will cast away all fears.  It is one so personal, so real that it will leave you forever changed.  It is one with a glorious ending.

In your pain do not harden your heart. Do not choose to escape, but choose to embrace. Embrace once more His promises. He makes all things new and has wonderful plans for you. Embrace once more your Father’s love and place the pieces of your broken heart in His hands. Allow Him to show you His love that you may live in it.

Rox

No comments:

Post a Comment