Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Restaurant Review: Yabu: House of Katsu


Here's my first attempt to write a restaurant review.  I should have done this way back, since I love eating out and enjoying a delicious meal.  For Yabu to prompt me to finally get me to write about a restaurant means that it deeply impressed me.

I'm a fan of Japanese cuisine, I love how beyond just taste, they infuse elements that speak of their culture and a unique identity.  Despite my fondness to the cuisine, I have to admit I never really enjoyed katsu.  Maybe because the many times I eat tempura or katsu, I end up dizzy because of the combination of oil and batter.

Since my friends have been raving about Yabu and how they serve Kurobuta Pork, my "duty" (so to speak) as a foodie obliged me to give it a try.  So one Saturday, my friends and I drove to Robinson's Magnolia to check it out.
Yabu with Ava and Harvard
We ended up waiting 2.5 hours to get a table.  I took this positively thinking that it must really be good but set high expectations.  The good thing was they had a remarkable staff, they evidently were under pressure from all those people waiting in line yet they remained friendly and accommodating.  When we finally got seated, a staff explained the concept to us from the different sauces and dressings to the unlimted rice and cabbage they offered.


Harvard Crushing the Sesame Seeds


My Meal!  Kurobuta Katsu

Some appetizers!

 I enjoyed crushing of white and black sesame seeds in the sauce bowl using a wooden pestle.  There was just a surge of aroma that resulted to it.  We then mixed it with some katsu sauce.  I of course ordered the Kurobuta which came with miso soup, unlimited rice, unlimited cabbage, some takuan and fresh fruits.  Upon sinking my teeth into the very first piece, my taste buds came alive.  There was just an infusion of taste.  The pork itself was flavorful and juicy, which makes the good quality evident.  The Katsu breading had its own unique flavor yet didn't overpower the pork.  The sauce was just a perfect blend to it.  The different tastes just came harmoniously together.  A dab of the mustard, a dipping of the sauce, a bite of the katsu, a mouthful of cabbage, and a scoop of rice (which my diet gladly tolerated) was just a gastronomical experience that kept me craving for Yabu for days.  What's great too was I didn't get dizzy from the oil or the batter!
Hire and Seafood Set Meal

I had my next Yabu experience just this week.  Since the branch in SM Mall of Asia just opened and it was relatively near my office.  I would say that despite the fact that they were just in their soft opening phase, they were consistent with my first Yabu experience.  I love their level of excellence.  This time I ordered the Hire and Seafood set.  The Hire pork is tender and juicy as well.  The seafood served were dory, prawn, scallop.  I love it!  It was such a filling meal but I finished the whole thing and the taste still lingers 'til now... Sigh! 'til my next Yabu fix!

Yabu definitely is one of my favorite restaurants in the city.  Yabu is currently located in SM Megamall, Robinson's Magnolia and SM Mall of Asia.  Munch Punch has their recipe online here.   Do try it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment