Monday, April 2, 2012

Six Months After



I just realized that it’s been six months since I started getting fit.  I previously wrote an entry about it.  Looking back, it was a challenging but fun journey.  Now, I can really feel myself reaping the benefits of a change in lifestyle.  A lot of people have been asking me how I did it, and I’m often caught off guard by the question.  I would just answer “exercise” or “gym” or “tennis” but as I ponder upon it, I realized it really lies in the change of my attitude and improvement in my character.

Here are the changes and improvements I did on myself:

Discipline. Our  life is an ongoing battle against complacency.  From the moment we get up in the morning we must make a decision to make the right choices.  Do I go for a run or do I stay under the sheets for another hour?  Do I prepare a healthy breakfast or just get fast food? As unpleasant it will be majority of the time, we must develop discipline.  It starts from the littlest decisions we make.

Self-Control. This means saying “no” to unhealthy things.  Exercise must always go hand in hand with a balanced diet.

Perseverance. You know you are improving when you go to a higher level, the intensity of your workout or exercise routine should increase.  It is challenging and it’s easy to remain in your comfort zone but you must push yourself.  Don’t give up.  I always remind myself that in a week or so, I’ll be able to do a difficult routine at ease, I just need to start somewhere.

There has been an outburst of the number of exercises and workouts you can choose from.  Each are effective in its own right, but what makes it effective for you is the attitude or character you have towards it.  There are no short cuts for long term results.  The best thing you can do is start with a change within you.

No comments:

Post a Comment