Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Finding My Focus

When I got separated almost 3 years ago, I knew I had to find a source of income for me and my kids. Separations are difficult enough in themselves, but I knew that God would help me, and I was determined to persevere. While I have to admit that I was fighting many negative emotions, the pain of rejection, the fear of having to start over, my worries for my children, and even some bitterness, I thank God for really being so faithful and saving me at my low point. I also want to thank my family and friends for being an incredible blessing to me. By God's grace I am in a much better place, and I'm grateful for all your kindness.

Given my situation, a single mom of three kids, not having had a full-time job in years, and my financial limitations, I had to limit my options for work. I'm the type of person with sooo many interests,  from fashion (making clothes was always a hobby of mine), fitness (Pilates as a career was an option), and I even considered becoming a makeup artist. Back then I thought, "Why can't I do it all?"I was getting so many signs and opinions from so many different places and people. It actually got quite confusing. It's good to ask for advice and counsel, but don't just ask anyone. Many people will have opinions and that's not the same as good advice. I realized I had to choose one and focus.

As my clients at Coco Cakes know, I would choose baking and cake decorating, and I'm glad I did.

Let me take you through how I ended up choosing to pursue Coco Cakes.


What Do You Value?
No one had ever asked me this question before. In fact, when my friend asked us this question, my other friend and I were caught blindsided. What did I value? What did I hold important to me? After thinking through it, I realized, after God, it was really my kids. My kids are the most important to me. When choosing a career, we cannot just base it on some "cool factor" or the money to be made. There are things more important than career success and money. For me, more important are my kids. Baking is something I can do at home and not be away from my kids. This was a huge plus.


What Do You Love Doing and What Are You Good At?
Like I said earlier, I had so many interests, but when I thought about it more, and when I factored in the idea of working from home to be with my kids, I really loved the idea of baking. I've always loved to bake, and I really enjoy cake decorating too. So I took up a few short courses and researched on my own about the new techniques in baking. I had been baking for almost 10 years already but it was only when I made my daughter's first birthday cake that people start to take notice of my work. After that, I would bake for friends and family. Then before I knew it, I had orders left and right.

My daughter's first birthday cake
I realized that because I zeroed in on baking, I was able to focus my time, energy, and the little money I had left into building Coco Cakes. Everything became all about baking. When I would go to bookstores, I go straight to the baking section and look for the latest books. When I surfed the internet, I would go to my favorite baking sites. I was always trying to learn more about baking, checking for new techniques and other updates.



While I still enjoy my other interests, I realized that pursuing and focusing on one passion at a time became really beneficial for me and my kids. I'm blessed to be working on something I'm really passionate about plus it's something that I can share with my kids. Even my kids really enjoy baking now!

Clockwise from top left: Lucas is helping me decorate his sister's birthday cake;
Natalia is decorating the toppers for her birthday cupcakes;
Andres is making coconut macaroons by himself;
Andres and Natalia are my official bowl and utensil
lickers
My daughter, Natalia and I
Coco Cakes has been an incredible journey. It hasn't been easy at all, it has involved a lot of late nights, hard work, study, learning, mistakes, apologies, emails, deliveries, ingredients, and many amazing customers. Even now, I'm learning that growth has its own challenges. With more customers, come more emails, more designs, more baking, more decorating, and more of everything. But I'm glad that more challenges mean that more breakthroughs are waiting. What I'm most grateful for is, even as I have found my work focus, I've learned that my true focus should be on God and His love. When we do that the other things fall into place.


No comments:

Post a Comment