Friday, September 21, 2012

The Curse of the Proverbs 31 Woman

I have been constantly asking my friend, Lynn, to contribute to My Doolally because I really admire her devotion to God, heart to serve and the insights she has on life.  She continuously inspires me to live a life of excellence and purpose.

She surprised me the other day by tagging me to an article she wrote on her blog.  It was such a fun read.  It really broke the stereotype of how a woman should be and the pressure it entails.

Lynn, director of Real Life 
Small Group of Lynn
Here is a repost of the article The Curse of the Proverbs 31 Woman:


When my friend, Rox, asked me to contribute a blog to her women’s blogsite, My Doolally, the first thought that popped into my head was, “The Curse of the Proverbs 31 Woman.”My second thought was…this is probably not what Rox had in mind…
I’m not entirely sure what a “typical female” is, but I am quite sure that I am not her.
Truth be told, I have always secretly resented the Proverbs 31 woman. To me, she has always seemed  like some mythological creature; a freakish hybrid of Martha Stewart and Mother Theresa that no woman can measure up to.
Firstly, she “gets up while it is still dark.” I briefly considered the possibility that she lived in my hometown of Edmonton, Canada — where in the depths of winter it is still dark at 9am — but decided this is unlikely. So I already don’t measure up (unless you count “my brief and amazing life as a morning person“).
Secondly, she “makes coverings for her bed” and “linen garments.” Seriously! Who makes their own bedspreads…?!?!! The last item I sewed was a somewhat sad-looking skirt I made in Grade 8 Home Economics.
Not only that, she also “buys a field and plants a vineyard.” An entire vineyard? Okay, now she’s just showing off…(which reminds me of a Martha Stewart Living tv show I once saw where Martha was showing how to make Christmas tree decorations using gold leaf. Now tell me, who has gold leaf lying around to use on tree decorations???)
My sister, knowing how much I love dogs, once asked me why I don’t have a dog. My reply? “I can’t even keep a houseplant alive…I even killed a cactus!” (apparently, if you don’t water a cactus for three weeks, it will die..)
It goes on to say that “when it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.” Having grown up in the snowy climes of Canada, I can only take this to mean that she needn’t worry if one of her children were to wander off in a snowstorm, since its bright red snowsuit (which she no doubt knitted in her spare time) would be easy to spot against the white snowdrifts.
But the last straw is when it says that she watches over the affairs of her household and “does not eat the bread of idleness.” In 21st century speak… the woman doesn’t waste her time updating her status on facebook, tweeting what she ate for lunch on twitter, or playing solitaire on her laptop.
Apparently she just makes bedspreads for fun.
Having thus determined that I will never measure up to the Proverbs 31 woman (and then repenting for having secretly resented her), I have settled instead on aiming to emulate the (more attainable) 1 Peter 3:4 woman, who focuses on “the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.”
For at the end of the day, it is He in whom my confidence rests and He alone that I seek to glorify in my life.
(p.s. Sorry Rox! I’ll try again…)
I totally agree with Lynn.  As the Bible tells us that man looks at the outward but God looks at the heart and the woman who fears God is to be praised.  

No comments:

Post a Comment