Tuesday, September 18, 2012

On My Birthday, I Want to Thank You, Jesus

Dear Jesus,

It's been another year. I feel like I've grown up so much the past few years. So much has changed in my life, so many realizations, so many lessons learned, so many challenges faced, and so many miracles. Thank you for another full year of Your blessings. I can't help but feel excited for the coming years. Every year with You had been wonderful. Thank You, Jesus, for loving me so much, for relentlessly pursuing me, and for constantly romancing me.

I'm so excited, because even as I turn 33 today, I feel like my life has only just begun.

Last weekend, one of my best friends, Ava, treated me to a vacation in the amazing Shangri-la Boracacy resort. The weather was quite fickle, sometimes sunny, sometimes raining hard, and mostly cloudy. Yet despite the changing weather, I could really feel You with me as a constant companion. The whole time, Ava and I were talking about You, which, as You know, is really very different from what we used to talk about. We kept talking about how You're in control, of the weather, of the future, of our lives. We even talked about how we became friends, and how we're both seeking You now, of how it never rained on us once because we were always comfortably indoors when the rain would fall, and how the timing of events in our lives has been so amazing. Jesus, thank You for reminding me that You're in complete control.


Remember our moment, when I went to the beach by myself? I walked to the shore alone because I wanted to swim in the  waves which were HUGE! I couldn't even sit down on the beach without feeling like I was inside a washing machine. Yet even then, in that moment, I really felt Your assurance that You will be with me throughout. As I looked down, I saw two small fish swimming in the middle of one of the big waves. They were swimming as if they were in calm waters. They didn't look panicked. They didn't look like they were in a hurry. You reminded me, through these simple fish, that even in the biggest of waves, I can walk (or swim) in peace. I can be still because You are with me.

Safely away from the waves.
Thank you for that break. Thank you for truly re-creating me. Help me not forget our moments in the beach. You know how forgetful I can be. Help me remember my roses even in winter.

I also want to thank You for last night. My amazing kids surprised me with birthday cards that they made. Thank You for my beautiful kids. Thank You for giving me the privilege of raising them. Thank You for the joy of loving them. Thank You for even bringing people to my life who have helped me point them to You. They were so cute. They wrote very specific birthday wishes and prayed for me. I know that it was Your way of reminding me that they really listen, and that they really care. You really know me well. You know I love these handmade, handwritten, and handpicked gifts from loved ones. If I ever grumble again, please bring the memory of last night to mind right away. Help me highlight Your goodness.


Jesus, you know what I've been through. You know everything about me. It's quite embarrassing to know that You know everything about me. But yet, it's incredible to know that despite knowing my dark moments, each year, You have shown me more love.

When I was thinking of what I wanted to ask You for my birthday, (I guess I'm still a little girl that way), the one thing that kept entering my mind was the word: Freedom. I really want to be free. I want to be free from my past, from my fears, from negative emotions, and from my own sins. As I thought about it, I started getting discouraged, because in my limited knowledge I couldn't see it happening. Then I remembered what a friend told me, that You gave Your life for me on Your 33rd birthday, so that I can walk in salvation and grace. Just like this part in one of my favorite songs this season, "Lay Down My Life For You" by Sidewalk Prophets, said:

This is love
That had to bleed
To bring you mercy
To set you free

You are mine
I am yours
And I will wear your burdens
Just like this crown of thorns

I will take your place
I know there is no other way

I lay down my life for you
This is the moment 
When all will be made new
I know that you don't understand
But this is part of a greater plan
So I lay down my life for you.

Jesus, You laid down Your life for me because You want me to be free. And that is the most memorable birthday gift of all. Thank You for constantly reminding me that I am Yours. Thank You for the gift of forgiveness. Thank You that You make all things brand new. I am free already because You love me. True Freedom is being with the One who loves me most: You. So please continue to help me as I continue to lay my life down.


Thank You for my 3 most precious blessings: Lucas the Wise, Andres the Brave, and Natalia the Beautiful. Thank You for entrusting them to me. Thank You that because of them, my life is more meaningful and more purposeful. It's such an amazing blessing to wake up to the smiles of these 3 little angels.


Thank You for the unending love and support from my family. They are living reminders of Your love and Your goodness. Thank You especially for my parents. Thank You for my protective and hardworking father and thank You for my fun and thoughtful mom.



Thank You for all my wonderful friends. I've never appreciated good friends as I do today. Thank You for people to pray with and share life with. I'm so blessed to be walking this journey with them. Please bless my friends for never ceasing to encourage me, never failing to inspire me, and always pushing me to be the best version of myself. Father, please be kind to them for their kindness to me.






I also want to thank You for my work. Thank You for the talent that You've given me. Thank You for even bringing it out and not letting me settle. Thank You for the opportunity to live out my passion, to be able to make moments special for others. Thank You for using me to bring joy to other people's celebrations.



Thank You also for My Doolally. Please bless our work. Please be with us as we share our lives with other girls. Please use us to help other girls enjoy the love, the peace, and the security we enjoy in You.



                                                                               
Thank You Jesus for a full life. I now look forward to the future, because I know You are faithful. Thank You!


                                                                                  I Love You,

                                                                                      Michelle


2 comments:

  1. Aaawww.... Touching one... Thanks for this post, I could think now as well...

    ReplyDelete