Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Overcoming My Fears



Fear often creeps in our hearts and minds and takes us off guard. One moment we feel so confident and filled with joy, the next thing you know a negative thought or uncontrollable circumstance discourages us and cripples us. We start doubting God's promises. We start doubting ourselves.

A strong sense of fear recently enveloped my heart like a dark cloud. I was so expectant, so much in faith with what God had in store for me. I really felt that I was entering the promise land He has prepared for me. That my business and personal life was experiencing breakthrough. But then, doubts invaded my thought : “ Did God really promise?” “Has something so great ever happened to someone like you? How many times have you failed?” I took these doubts to heart and questioned my life. Maybe I assumed everything and was living in vain. It really made me lose hope.

From Thoughts To Make Your Heart Sing

What I've learned in my walk with God was to always bring my emotions to Him. I always ask myself “what is God trying to highlight in my life in light of this situation?” I like what Timothy Keller said in one of his preachings “process your emotions in the presence of God” and that's what I did. I sought Him and brought my frustrations, questions, fears and doubts to Him.
I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. (Psalm 40:1 NIV)
As I was seeking Him, I read a passage entitled “Believing and Doubting” from “Thoughts To Make Your Heart Sing”, an amazing children's devotional book written by Sally Lloyd Jones and Jago. It said:
Our strong God is the one who rescues us- not our strong faith.
Because faith isn't just you holding on to God.  It's God holding on to you.

I felt like these words were God's command to calm the storm raging in my heart. It put things back into a perspective. I have a strong God who will never fail me. He promised to bring me into a land flowing with milk and honey. He is faithful even when I'm not. He is strong when I am weak.
So, when fear tries to get the best of us, let us run to God. Let us use our every situation to experience a deeper level of His love. Let us remember His goodness and rest in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment