Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Healthy Breakfast Hash


I love breakfast food but I don't particularly enjoy waking up early to cook.  I realized that its one meal that I shouldn't miss because it fuels my energy for the day.  In order to be able to prepare a hearty breakfast, I started making weekly meal plans.  This helped determine beforehand the ingredients needed and the cook time and procedures.  I researched on different breakfast dishes and came up with a lot of really delicious and healthy choices.  It also expanded my cooking creativity as I would tweak some recipes or come up with a new one altogether.

One of my favorite breakfast dish is Breakfast Hash.  Most recipes I came across with make use of potatoes but since I'm currently doing the Paleo Diet, I substituted potatoes for zucchini and squash.

Here's the recipe:

   Ingredients:
   1 cup of shredded zucchini
   1 cup of shredded squash or pumpkin
   3 tbsp of flour (I used almond flour for Paleo)
   2 tsp salt
   2 tsp pepper
   2 tsp marjoram
   olive oil
   2 eggs
   1 sausage of your choice

   1. Use a grater to shred zucchini and squash into shoestring.  Squeeze the veggies to drain the water stored in it.  Mix in flour and combine in salt, pepper and marjoram.
  2. Heat olive oil in a skillet.  Cook the shoestring zucchini and squash until golden brown.  Set aside.
   3. Fry two eggs sunny side up (medium cooked) and cook the sausage of your choice.
   4. Place the eggs and sausages on top of the vegetable hash.

   Optional: Drizzle with mayonnaise or aioli for added flavor


I hope you'll enjoy this healthy breakfast treat!  We will be posting more breakfast recipes soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment