Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pottery by Mia Casal

Mia Casal is one of our favorite entrepreneur friends.  We are so inspired with how she turned her God given talent into a successful business.

At Mia's exhibit in Greenbelt

Here is her account on how she started getting into pottery.  Her experiences in her work is evidence on how God is involved in whatever we do in life.


I felt like I was on a crossroad back in 2002, I was working for our family business but wasn't really happy with my role.  One day, I visited Ugu Bigyan's pottery haven located in Tiaong, Quezon.  It was the first time I ever felt the spinning of clay in between my hands.  It was a whole new experience and that started my love affair with pottery.  I wanted to learn more about the craft and so after looking around I came across some pottery studios.  I went to Lanelle Abueva's Pottery Exchange located in Eastwood City and Jon Pettyjohn's School in Makati.  Seeing how the simplicity of the raw material of clay forming into a shape spoke deeply into my heart.  I felt like I was being called into the world of pottery.  I heeded the call by looking for ways I could master the skills and techniques.  I traveled to New York and Italy to broaden my perspective and style.  



What interests me most about pottery is taking on the role of a creator.  Never in my life did I grasp that something could be created out of something seemingly nothing.  With just a certain amount of alterations, an earthly material such as clay can form into something beautiful.  It is like making something come to life!  One of my unique styles are odd looking plates and bowls.  I remember how I would just consistently make bowls for one whole year, yet up to now I still enjoy making them.  What's nice about handmade things is that no two pieces are alike.  


Before knowing Christ, I was sitting on a potter's wheel one day in my old studio.  A thought came to me "Maybe this is how Jesus is to me.  He forms me between His hands and gives me purpose.  Oh, what a wobbly piece of clay I am!"  True enough, when I started reading the Bible, I came across Isaiah 64:8 "Yet you, Lord, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."  Realizing that Jesus transforms usgave my life clarity.  It is not easy to change, we cannot do it on our own.  Jesus lets us go through a refining process to remove our bad habits and impurities and make it into something beautiful and purposeful.  With that in mind, my perspective on trials have changed.  It is in those moments where, like clay, He expands our capacity.  I have learned that He strengthens us not for our own fame but to glorify Him.

Mia holds pottery classes in Clay Ave.  Check out the site for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment