Monday, October 1, 2012

Core Strength


Building and developing our body's core strength is important.  I used to have a very vague understanding on what it actually entails, I thought it was just about building abs and looking good.  In Fort Rock Fitness, the gym that I go to, they always give emphasis on the core.  A big percentage of the workout program they come up for me is targeted on that specific area.

I asked Coach Aries Fonacier to explain what this core craze was all about.  His knowledge and some further research helped me gain a better understanding on it.

The core is composed of the abdominals, the obliques (side muscles) and the back muscles.  It's called the powerhouse, the anchor and the foundation of your body.  It is what supports your spine allowing you to have balance, strength and a good posture.  Any kind of sport or activity draws its strength from that area.

There are two kinds of functions where our body draws strengths from:

1. Static - where the core exerts force on an object, the muscles stay at the same position.
2. Dynamic - when you apply force repeatedly and you do loads.

Whether you are a student, a stay home mom, an athlete or whatever your walk in life is it is important to have some core workout at a regular basis.

Here are some of the core exercises I do in the gym:

TRX Rip.  Check out a previous entry on TRX.




Pressure Machines.

Medicine Balls.




Kettle Bell.

Planks.


Others.





I can really attest to the advantages of having a stronger core.  I was amazed on how it's easier for me now to walk on high heels and carry grocery bags!  It also helped my tennis games, I feel more flexible and have added power in my shots.

Do try to incorporate some core exercises in your routine, it will make you look good and feel good!

Acknowledgement: Fort Rock Fitness is located in Manila Polo Club.  They do customized workout programs and adventure excursions.  For more information check out their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment