Tuesday, August 28, 2012

There Is No Place Like Home

“There is no place like home.” - Dorothy, The Wizard of Oz

Support the Stage Moms!
I love it when we women get together to do good. Not only do we have a natural instinct to care for others, we also have the creativity and detail-orientedness to help others excellently. That's why I admire what my fellow mommy, Mia Lauchengco, along with her friends, are doing in sponsoring the September 2, 2012 showing of the Wizard of Oz by Repertory Philippines. The recent flood left a lot of victims whose homes are still underwater so proceeds will be given to the Red Cross and Angel Brigade who are still conducting relief work.

From Repertory Philippines

You can get in touch with Mia at 09175334206 for more details.

It's a good way to enjoy a fun play and teach your kids how to give to those who find themselves in unfortunate circumstances. I like to volunteer or give when I get the chance, and I've seen how well my kids respond when they realise they can help others. I encourage you to make this a part of your regular activities with them.


Speaking of Home…
the word "home" means different things for different people. For some, it's a gigantic mansion, for others, it's something simpler. For me and my kids, home is my parent's house, which has been great for us during our years of transition. Among my life's many blessings, having parents who have been so kind, patient, and generous towards me is one of the most meaningful. I'm so grateful that my kids are able to spend a lot of time with their grandparents, and I've learned to appreciate the many simple things being with them has done for us.

Inside my parents' house is the room I grew up in. This has become "our home within a home". Other than the kitchen, where I bake and where the kids work to be near me, my bedroom (I should say "our bedroom" since my kids and I share the space) is where we have some of the best memories. It's here that I wake up next to my beautiful kids peacefully sleeping. It's here that we get ready for another wonderful day of challenge and growth. It's here, at the end of each day, that we get together to talk about what we're grateful for, write on our journals, and pray. Finally, it is here where we lie down to rest and read a story before we sleep.

I have so many beautiful memories in our "home". This experience has taught me that it isn't the size of the space that makes a home beautiful, but that the space is filled with the people you treasure. For me and my kids, our moments here are priceless, and I'm happy to see them gratefully thanking God every night for their blessings.

Like many other dreaming girls, I like to go on Pinterest and Instagram, and check out beautiful rooms, incredible furniture, nice clothes, and for my work, amazing cake and cupcake designs. While admiring these things, I sometimes can't help but wonder if I'll ever have my dream home, or even just my dream kitchen, or if I'll be able to have that wallpaper, or that French couch, or those clothes in my wardrobe. It can be discouraging sometimes to know that realistically these things are beyond me.

Then I look around my room, at the three faces that mean most to me, and I'm reminded that I am incredibly blessed. I wouldn't trade my treasures for anything, and once again I am content. I guess it really is about how we look at things. While we can add so many things to our shopping lists, we already have something great, because when we really look at what's amazing, there really is no place like home.

2 comments:

  1. Aaaayyy.... Lovely... So true. No matter how big or small your place is, as long as you are together as a family, I believe that MORE one could ask for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not about the stuff at all. Thanks for reading our blog!

      Delete