Friday, August 3, 2012

Workouts That Worked For Me

I really like working out. I like that it gives me an instant energy boost. I don’t feel sleepy during the day when I am able to do something active in the morning. It also helps me relieve the stress that builds up from running a business and a home. A 5km run or an hour on the tennis court has been great for taking out the tension off my mind, my body, and even my heart. Staying active also helps me keep up with growing kids who love sports (my two big boys who play soccer) and to sing and dance crazily with incredibly energetic and talented daughter. Even my responsibilities at Coco Cakes requires a lot of manual labor. Kneading, mixing, and decorating is a lot of work! All these activities benefit from regular exercise and working out.

As my responsibilities at home and for work continue to grow, I find that working out is usually the first thing crossed out of my schedule. When I realized this, I immediately rearranged things because we really can’t be without exercise! I tried to find ways to be able to squeeze in an hour or two to for my health. I usually workout either while waiting for my cakes/cupcakes to bake and cool, which usually takes about 1 1/2 – 2 hours, or while tutoring the kids (I know what you’re going to say! Yes I’m a guilty multi-tasker!). I do my workouts while the kids answer their worksheets or write their essays, which takes 30-40 minutes. So I’m sharing with you the workouts that worked-out for me, and the beauty is, all can be done in less than an hour.

1. TRX Suspension Training
Most gyms and workout places have this already. We did a post on this in the past. Check it out here: http://mydoolally.com/blog/2012/04/25/trx-review/ . I only have the Suspension Training and this 50 minute workout really works for me.




Needed: TRX Suspension Trainer (comes with DVD, Suspension Trainer, and manual), TV with DVD player or Laptop, yoga mat (optional)


2. Insanity 60-day Total Body Conditioning Program
I do these Insanity videos when I have extra 45 minutes in the day. These workouts are insane! (As the name says) It’s meant to be done everyday for 60 days straight and you’re guaranteed results. I haven’t seen any 6-pack abs yet but I can definitely say that it has helped me build strength and endurance. And I must admit I can feel my tummy and butt tighten just after 2 weeks of doing this, even if I wasn’t as regular as I should have been. This program is best done with a workout buddy because it gets really hard in the middle and the extra encouragement really helps. During the summer, I did this with my fellow mom friend, Rikka.




You can buy this DVD program from their website: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

or

from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/INSANITY-60-Day-Conditioning-Workout-Program/dp/B002QZ1RS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341895444&sr=8-1&keywords=insanity+dvd

Needed: Insanity DVD, TV with DVD player or Laptop, and yoga mat (optional), hand towel is a must (unless you want to swim in a puddle of sweat)

3. The Tracy Anderson Method Mat Workout DVD
I first learned about Tracy Anderson from a magazine when she was interviewed about how she lost all 60 lbs. or more of baby weight. After giving birth to my youngest, I did her Post-Pregnancy Workout DVD and it did wonders for my tummy and other areas that were hit with the pregnancy. (Haha! Yeah pregnancy hit my body like a fat storm! Haha!) Anyway I used to do this alternately with Pilates.

And now that I’m nowhere near post-pregnancy, I got her Mat Workout DVD to add to my workout regime. I lent this DVD to my friend, Rikka, who just gave birth a few months ago.

I sometimes do the Mat Workout DVD during days that I want a more relaxed workout. Yes, it’s slower in pace but you’ll have the same aches and pains (and more!) after. It’s very easy to follow but her workouts target the muscles that you don’t even know existed. I would feel pain in places where I never knew were there. I learned from Tracy Anderson that those muscles are called accessory muscles.

Most exercises incorrectly focus on bigger muscle groups, such as the biceps or hamstrings, when they should really be working the smaller accessory muscles. Anderson teaches you how to shift this focus, activating and challenging the smaller muscles to achieve a long, lean physique instead of a bulky look. - Tracy Anderson’s 30-Day Method: The Weight-Loss Kick-Start that Makes Perfection Possible



You can get this video also from amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/The-Tracy-Anderson-Method-Workout/dp/B001F2HZHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341909692&sr=8-1&keywords=tracy+anderson+mat+workout+dvd

Needed: Tracy Anderson Mat Workout DVD, TV with DVD player or laptop, yoga mat, 1-3 lb. weights or toning balls (this is what I use)


4. Nike Training Club iPhone App
I recently downloaded this workout app on my iPhone and so far, I’m super loving it. I haven’t used this extensively yet but I’m appreciating its convenience. I also like that you  can have personalized workouts and that it monitors your progress. There are 4 goals to choose from: Get Lean, Get Toned, Get Strong, and Get Focused. Of course, I always choose Get Lean. It has 3 levels to choose from: Beginner (4-5 workouts a month), Intermediate (2-3 workouts a week), and Advanced (3-5+workouts a week). Per level, there are about 7-8 different workouts to choose from varying in time and intensity. There’s a short video to show you how to do the particular exercise or you can also just look at the step by step pictures. You can also share your workouts with your friends…this I have yet to try.

This workout app is very promising because among all the workouts I mentioned, this is the one with the least materials needed. I can be in the middle of nowhere with just my iPhone and I’ll still be able to exercise. it doesn’t need internet connection to access.

You can get this app from the App Store of your iPhone, iPad, or iTouch.




Needed: iPhone, iPad, or iTouch; yoga mat (optional), medicine ball (which you can substitute with a heavy book or a rock, if you’re stuck in a deserted island), dumbbells or toning balls (which you can substitute with 2 bottles of water or rocks, hehe!)

These are just some of the many things that you can do if you want to work out in the convenience of your home. I’m sure there are other DVDS or workouts out there. The key here is dedication and consistency. I don’t know how many “new” fitness things I’ve tried, but it always goes back to what I just said: dedication and consistency. When we couple our workout with the right diet, good hydration and adequate sleep, you will be on your way to that toned body that you’ve always been dreaming of. So go find that workout that works for you. Like what they say, you have time for what you make time for. So if it means waking up an hour earlier or skipping an hour of Facebooking just to sweat out that cheesecake you just ate, just do it. Your hard work and discipline will pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment