Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Why I Love the Bible


Growing up in a Christian family and studying at a Christian school, I was taught that I had to read the Bible.  In school, I had to memorize verses as part of the academic requirements.  We also needed to read a chapter a day and write down what we learned in our Bible journal for us to pass our Bible subject.  I remember cramming my Bible journal by finishing a month’s work during recess time.  I was so happy there was a Life Application Bible at home so I could just copy the “applications” of each verses (re-worded of course) without reading the chapter.  I knew the Bible was important, maybe even necessary but I really didn’t get it.  I’ve been taught about those people in the Bible and the lessons so why do I still need to read the long version in this thick book with little prints.  Besides, didn’t church and school choose the important verses for us already?

Then I met some Christians who actually read the Bible on a regular basis, and I thought maybe to be a good Christian I had to do the same.  So I tried, and followed their goal to finish the Bible in a year.  So I started with Genesis 1, then the next day Genesis 2, then Genesis 3, continuing maybe for a week then forgetting all about it after.  Then the following year I’d make the same goal, stopping again in Genesis 5.  It became a frustrating cycle and I concluded that the Bible was just too boring!

It was only when I started being part of a Bible Study group did I develop the discipline of reading the Bible daily.  I didn’t get it at once but I saw how the people in the group really loved the word of God.  It wasn’t something religious for them but it was something they really delighted on.  It was also encouraging because we would constantly share God's word to each other and remind each other to have our personal devotions.  So I was thrilled when I got past Genesis 5, and before I knew it I had finished the entire Bible.  Then I'd start over, and finish it again and again.  

Reading the Bible for me is a day-to-day experience, it isn’t just a religious act.  It refreshes the soul.  I cannot recount all the experiences I’ve had as I read God’s word and how it has deepened my relationship with Him.  I really wouldn’t have gone this far if not for His word.  There are a lot of times when I am faced with situations and I would remember what the Bible says about it and I would know what to do.  There would be times when I would ask God something and He would remind me of His word.  Had I not the read the Bible I wouldn’t know these things.  It never ceases to amaze me how indeed “living and active” God’s word is.  Reading the Bible is such a delight that we can never outgrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment